High Blood Pressure Treatments
High blood pressure (hypertension) is when your heart needs to work extra hard to pump blood through your body, because it can't move freely because of obstructions or constrictions within the arteries. Treatment for people with high blood pressure can aim to improve blood flow through arteries, reduce the strain on the heart or reduce the volume of plasma within blood to help it flow more freely. This can either be done with the help of prescription medication and/or lifestyle adjustments.
If you've been diagnosed as having hypertension, high blood pressure treatments can be used long term to prevent blood pressure from getting out of control and causing further damage to your health. In many cases primary hypertension can be prevented if the appropriate lifestyle changes are made before the condition has had a chance to cause problems.
Prescription high blood pressure treatments
There are various types of hypertension treatments that can help keep blood pressure under control and at a healthy level. Some of these treatments can be used in conjunction with one another if your doctor believes it to be the most effective way to lower a dangerously high blood pressure reading. Prescription high blood pressure treatments are normally recommended alongside a healthy balanced lifestyle.
Some of the high blood pressure treatments available:
- Manufactured byAmlodipine
- Amlodipine is a type of medication known as a calcium channel blocker. It has the ability to relax arteries, because it prevents the smooth muscles within arteries that are instrumental in controlling artery contraction from absorbing calcium. If the amount of calcium absorbed is reduced or limited, arteries are much less likely to contract as this mineral plays a part in the contraction process.
- More information
- Manufactured byLisinopril
- Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor or angiotensin-converting enzyme. Angiotensin II is a compound that is part of the body's natural blood pressure regulating system and has the ability to cause blood vessels to narrow. Lisinopril can block the action of angiotensin, allowing blood vessels to relax, so that blood can flow more freely thus placing less strain on the heart. It also has diuretic properties.
- More information
- Manufactured byBendroflumethiazide
- This medication is a thiazide diuretic and reduces the level of excess fluid in the body by helping the kidneys do their job more effectively. This is believed to reduce the concentration of water that makes up blood plasma, facilitating blood flow through arteries.
- More information
Alternative high blood pressure treatments
Other than using prescription high blood pressure treatments, lifestyle plays a very important part in arterial and heart health. Smoking, inactivity, excessive alcohol use, obesity and a diet high in caffeine and salt have all been linked to high blood pressure, so trying to make lifestyle adjustments to reduce or eliminate these factors, especially if you're older, can all be helpful in preventing or controlling high blood pressure. Lifestyle adjustments on their own, although helpful, may not be an option for everybody. The best choice for you will be based on your blood pressure level and your risk of developing cardiovascular disease as well as the cause of your high blood pressure.
If your blood pressure is above 130/80mmHg and your risk of developing cardiovascular disease is low, lifestyle changes may be able to effectively lower your blood pressure. However, if your blood pressure is 140/90mmHg or higher a combination of both prescription medication and lifestyle adjustments will need to be considered.
It is important to let your doctor check your blood pressure regularly, even if you aren't using a prescription treatment.
If you suffer from secondary hypertension, which is when you've developed high blood pressure as a result of another medical condition, treating this condition could be helpful in lowering blood pressure.
Ordering prescription high blood pressure treatments online
Some high blood pressure treatments are available to order online from us, however it's important that you only order medication if you have been diagnosed with hypertension and a treatment has been recommended to you by your doctor. As patient safety is very important to us, we ask you to complete an online consultation when you place your order, so that our doctor can ensure that you are safe to use the treatment of your choice. If your order is approved it will be shipped for overnight delivery directly from our pharmacy for delivery as soon as possible. If, however, our doctor does not feel that that the treatment of your choice is safe to take, they may provide an alternative or decline your order, in which case you will not be charged.